Best Filtered Water Bottle
If you’re an avid outdoors person or someone who likes to prepare for the unexpected, choosing a filtered water bottle is a cost-effective and environmentally-friendly solution. No matter where you go, you’ll have access to clean and safe water when using one of these bottles.
In this guide, we’re reviewing our top picks for a water bottle filter to help you make the best buying decision. We’re also outlining information regarding what these water filter bottles are, how they work, the contaminants they remove, the benefits of these bottles, and what to look for during the buying process.
Table of Contents
Top 4 Best Filtered Water Bottles Compared
#1 Clearly Filtered Tritan Bottle
#2 Lifestraw Go Bottle
#3 Berkey Sport Bottle
#4 Brita Bottle
Best Filtered Water Bottles Reviewed
1. Best Filtered Water Bottles Reviewed
While this bottle’s design looks like it’s for use in a gym, that isn’t necessarily the case. This water bottle is an excellent choice for everyday use, no matter your location or activity. Its construction includes being made from BPA-free plastic and, because of its transparency, it looks like a glass bottle. However, it’s much lighter.
Another stand-out feature of this water bottle is its wide opening. That means you can add ice without crushing it beforehand. The mouthpiece is also simple to keep clean. We also love that the manufacturer offers a 30-day money-back guarantee on these filters. If something goes wrong or if this water bottle doesn’t meet your expectations, you won’t experience any difficulties.
Additional features of this filtered water bottle include:
- Medical-grade Tritan plastic construction
- Doesn’t leach chemicals or emit odors
- BPA and Phthalate free construction
- Wide opening for adding ice
- Uses Affinity filtration technology
- Lifetime warranty
- Filter lasts for up to 25 gallons.
- Holds up to 24 ounces.
- Lightweight construction.
- Subscription for replacement filters.
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Some consumers don’t like that it’s too small to fit into their bike water bottle holder.
- Other consumers would prefer metal construction.
- There aren’t any color options.
2. Best Filter Straw: Lifestraw Go Bottle
A stand out feature of the Lifestraw Go Water Filter bottle design is that it’s for travel. That means it’s possible to filter water from lakes and streams without compromising your health. We also love that this filtered water bottle is made from food-grade, BPA-free materials.
Additional features of the Lifestraw Go Water Filter Bottle include:
- Removes up to 99% of waterborne bacteria
- Removes bacteria, chemicals, microplastics, and parasites
- Two-stage water filtration media
- Durable BPA-free construction
- The filter lasts for up to five years.
- One-year manufacturer’s warranty
- The filter lasts for 1,000 gallons.
- Holds up to 23 ounces.
- BPA-free construction.
- Multiple color options are available.
- Food-grade mouthpiece.
- Some consumers feel the straw on these water bottles are too challenging to use.
- Others don’t like that it only filters to 0.2 microns.
- Consumers also indicate that it leaks from the top sometimes.
3. Best for Sports: Berkey Sport Bottle
We also love that these water bottle filters are also lightweight and feature a non-leaching medical-grade polymer construction. You’ll also find that, in addition to removing harmful pollutants and heavy metals, this water filtration bottle also eliminates cloudiness and odor.
This water bottle filter’s stand-out feature exceeds the EPA’s protocol for the ANSI/NSF Standard number 53 and Microbiological Filters. Its filtration system can remove approximately 99% of Chromium 6, 99.8% of chloroform, 98% mercury, 97.5% of lead, and 76.5% arsenic.
Additional features of Berkey filtered water bottles include:
- Easy to replace the filter
- Easy-open hinge keeps straw clean.
- Uses exclusive ionic adsorption micro-filtration technology
- Works with municipal tap water or another freshwater source
- Leak-resistant construction
- Squeeze operation
- Filter lasts for up to 100 gallons of municipal water or 25 gallons from another water source.
- 22-ounce water bottle.
- BPA-free construction.
- Medical-grade polymer construction.
- Fits in most vehicle cup holders.
- Isn’t a fluoride filter water bottle.
- Some water bottle reviews indicate that the straw can pinch when closing the lid.
- Some consumers didn’t like filling it from sinks or water fountains.
4. Budget Option: Brita Bottle
We all understand how expensive it is to buy plastic bottles every day. Using the Brita water purification bottle means you can eliminate up to 300 standard plastic bottles annually. Not only is this saving you money, but you’re also simultaneously doing something positive for the environment. So, producing great tasting water without a chlorine taste is possible in this dishwasher safe water bottle with filter.
Additional features of the Brita Sport Water Bottle include:
- Hard-sided water bottle
- Upgraded from the 20-ounce sport water bottle
- Eliminate disposable water bottles
- Water purifier replaces bottled water (up to 300 bottles)
- Dishwasher safe on the top rack
- 100% leak-free filter water bottle
- Affordable pricing and an excellent alternative to bottled water.
- Holds up to 26 ounces.
- The filter lasts for up to 40 gallons of water.
- BPA-free plastic construction.
- Some consumers complain that you have to buy a new filter water bottle if the mouthpiece needs a replacement.
- Other consumers believe that the filtration capacity is too low.
- Some consumers believe that these bottles require too much suction.
5. Best for Survival: GRAYL Purifier Bottle
The patented one-press design means you can stop using bottled water because you’re getting clean, safe, and purified tap water with these filtered water bottles. The Grayl Ultralight water purifier removes more than 99% of viruses and bacteria, including E. Coli, Hepatitis A, Salmonella, SARS, and more.
Additional stand-out features of the Grayl Ultralight water purifier include:
- Improves the water’s taste by filtering chemicals, heavy minerals, and sediment
- Water is free of heavy metals, bacteria, and viruses.
- Award-winning one-press design
- Two layers of non-woven ceramic media create a durable and rugged base.
- Positively-charged ions grab onto impurities flowing through the water.
- Activated carbon filter absorbs the water’s chemicals, flavor, heavy metals, and odor.
- Clean water is 15 seconds
- Compact and durable water bottle with filter ideal for survival or traveling
- One carbon filter replaces up to 300 single-use water bottles.
- Not many parts to break or lose.
- Use your body weight to press down for water filtration.
- It can only hold up to 16 ounces of water.
- Users must press down on the filter to get clean water.
- Do not let the filter cartridge freeze.
6. Best Features: Survimate Filtered Water Bottle
We also love that this filtering water bottle features a medical-grade hollow fiber UF membrane filter. You’ll also find a coconut shell activated carbon filter, a filter containing antibacterial beads, and a medical-grade PP cotton filter. These are also a hard-sided water bottle, making them durable no matter where you are or what you’re doing.
Additional stand-out features of the SurviMate Filtered Water Bottle include:
- It’s construction features durable, food-grade Tritan copolyester that’s BPA-free and heat resistant.
- You don’t need to replace filters for up to 1,500 liters, just under 400 gallons.
- A built-in compass on top helps you find your direction while getting drinking water in the harshest conditions.
- Doesn’t require a pump, hose, or batteries to get clean and healthy drinking water
- Its filter accuracy is 0.1 microns.
- This filtered water bottle has a flow rate of just under one gallon per minute.
- Filters heavy metals and microplastics.
- Holds up to 24 ounces of water.
- Removes bacteria and viruses.
- The filter lasts for up to 65 gallons.
- Can withstand freezing temperatures.
- Some consumers feel this water bottle is too expensive.
- Others feel like the water is too difficult to suck from the filtered straw.
7. KOR Nava Filtered Bottle
Instead of finding a BPA-free plastic construction for this filtered water bottle, the KOR Nava Filtered bottle is glass. It also features a plastic grip around its ergonomic handle. We love that these durable water bottle filters are rugged and can handle whatever those on the go throw at them.
Using this filter bottle involves sucking water through its straw, which contains a coconut shell water filter. The straw features a leak-proof design, which means it’s easy to drink clean water when participating in outdoor activities, exercise, or traveling. You’ll also find a hygienic top that closes to prevent germs from contaminating the mouthpiece.
Additional features of this water filter bottle include:
- Its easy flow technology means no squeezing to get clean and safe water.
- The cushioned base protects this water bottle filter from slipping on flat surfaces.
- The twist-off lid reveals a broader opening, making it easy to clean or add ice cubes.
- The cap swivels away while you drink.
- It doesn’t have an exposed straw, but one that conceals instead.
- Lifetime warranty and same-day customer service
- Holds 22 ounces of water.
- Ergonomic and attractive design.
- Its filter capacity is 40 gallons of water.
- 100% coconut shell water filter.
- Eliminates unpleasant tastes and smells.
- Some consumers complain about the squealing noise it makes when drinking.
- Others wish it were the right size for a cup holder.
- It leaks from the top sometimes.
8. Best Alkaline Water Bottle: Invigorated Water Stainless Steel Bottle
We can’t stop raving about the stainless steel design that joins with a gym lid and Invigorated Water logo on the front. You can find the silicon sleeve grip available in seven different colors, including black, blue, green, orange, pink, purple, and red.
A stand-out feature for these water filter bottles is the vitabead diffuser inside. That’s how you receive alkaline water that’s full of antioxidants. The diffuser raises the water’s pH level to nine or more. That means the water is healthier to drink. You’ll also find a diffuser removal tool you can use when you reach 400 refills.
Additional features of the Invigorated Water Stainless Steel Bottle include:
- The bottle is made from high-quality materials means no metal or plastic taste
- Stainless steel construction
- 100% money-back guarantee if these water filtered bottles don’t meet your expectations
- Keeps drinks cold for 24 hours and warm for 12 hours
- These containers replace up to 144 plastic bottles
- Works optimally with the distilled, tap, or well water
- Includes one one-the-go water filter pouch
- Increases your water’s pH levels.
- Eliminates heavy metals, including copper, lead, and mercury.
- Adds healthy minerals, including iron, magnesium, selenium, and zinc.
- Its filter capacity is 16 gallons or one month.
- Some consumers report no change in the alkalinity of their water.
- Other water bottle reviews indicate that the sport’s top breaks too easily.
- Sometimes the filter tears open.
What is a Filtered Water Bottle?
How Do Purification Water Bottles Work?
Most purification water bottles work in a couple of ways. The first way is by filtering the water through the straw as you drink from the bottle. The second involves filtering the water as you pour it into the bottle. Both of these methods use filtration media to ensure the water is clean and safe to drink.
Types of filters used
A filtered water bottle typically comes with a carbon activated filter. However, you might also find some with UV filters. If you choose the latter, that means changing bulbs and using batteries. When comparing a carbon activated filter to a UV filter, the UV can’t remove chemical compounds in the water. However, a UV filter works better when you need to remove viruses. You can find some bottle filters containing a combination of the two, which gives you full protection.
Most Effective filters
The most effective filters remove the contaminants you need before it’s time to change it out. Ideally, you want a filter that improves the water’s odor and taste while simultaneously eliminating contaminants and other pollutants. Typically, these filters last for approximately two months. It’s essential to replace filters often to ensure you’re receiving the cleanest water every month.
Contaminants Removed by Filtered Bottles
Filtered water bottles feature designs specifically for removing bacteria, chemical compounds, and viruses. Here are examples of each:
- Bacteria: If you’re hiking or participating in other outdoor activities where you must use whatever water source you come across, the filter should remove pathogenic bacteria.
- Chemical compounds: This category also includes removing heavy metals. Chemical compounds are the most prominent in water. They include chloramines, chlorine, fluoride, hormones, nitrates, pesticides, and more.
- Viruses: You might find viruses in water if it contains animal waste. Ingesting water containing viruses could cause a host of illnesses, including high temperature, nausea, sickness, stomach cramping, and more.
Benefits of a Filtered Water Bottle
The portability of a water bottle with filter for travel is an incredible benefit, especially if you need to filter water while you’re on the go. A high-quality filter works with any type of water. That way, you’re getting great tasting water no matter your location.
Travel & Survival
No one knows when they’re going to need clean water when traveling or for survival. For example, if you plan to travel in the wilderness, you’ll need to find ways to clean and purify your water in a portable bottle.
Think about how much you’re typically spending on plastic water bottles. In the end, a bottle with a filter is much more cost-effective.
Eliminates Harmful Contaminants
No matter if you’re camping or preparing for an emergency, having safe water is essential. These bottles eliminate harmful contaminants to ensure your drinking water isn’t going to make you sick.
A notable benefit of using this sort of water bottle is its eco-friendliness. You’ll save a considerable amount of money from buying single-use plastic water bottles. You’ll also save the environment from having more plastic pollution.
What to Look For in a Filtered Water Bottle
Type of Filter
You’ll notice that the majority of filtered water bottles come with a carbon filter. That type of filter uses activated carbon to remove impurities from your water source. Black specs on the end of the bottle indicate whether the bottle uses this type of filter. Even if you can still see the black specs, keep in mind that you must change these filters frequently.
Make sure the filter can remove the contaminants, viruses, and other pollutants you need. For example, if you’re traveling where there are questionable water sources, the filter needs to handle those conditions.
Quality of Materials
The water bottle you choose should be made from the highest quality BPA and chemical-free materials. As you can see by the reviews that we present here, our top picks feature this construction. Also, make sure the bottle won’t bend or break after several uses. It’s also a good idea to look for brands that carry a lengthy warranty. That way, you can replace broken or missing parts without trouble.
A standard filtered water bottle holds approximately 17 ounces of water. That means it’s essential to find filters that match that water capacity. However, that’s a small amount of water, and you’ll need to refill your bottle frequently. Keep in mind that most water bottle filters aren’t high capacity. They do vary, though, so that’s essential to keep in mind. For example, when you install the filter, you’ll lose some of the advertised water capacity. Therefore, it’s a good idea to find a water bottle that can hold as many ounces as possible. Some of the largest we mention in this review is up to 24 ounces.
Even though water filters provide clean and safe water, the price for doing so varies significantly. For example, the best-filtered water bottle doesn’t mean you have to pay the highest price. Even though an expensive filtered water bottle can cost several times more than one that’s less expensive, that doesn’t mean you have to shell out thousands of dollars for filtered water. Instead, look at the performance of each filtered water bottle that interests you. That way, you can determine which is the best-filtered water bottle for your needs.
At the end of the day, we all want water that’s safe and clean no matter where we are or what we’re doing. Choosing a bottle with a water filter solves that problem. Our top pick is the Clearly Filtered Tritan Bottle. We love that the filter lasts for up to 25 gallons and can hold up to 24 ounces. Our second pick is the Lifestraw Go Bottle. We love this one because its filter lasts for up to 1,000 gallons, and it holds up to 23 ounces. We also want to mention the Berkey Sport Bottle for its 100-gallon filtration capacity and because it can hold up to 22 ounces.